Oscar & Co is a sustainable salon
Oscar & Co are proud to be part of the @sustainablesalonsanz sustainability movement.
Sustainable Salons provides all in-salon separation bins and outside collection bins to suit the salon’s needs and offers a fortnightly collection service directly to the salon door.
- Plastic packaging is sent to specialist local plastics recyclers where it’s cleaned and made into outdoor furniture and new product packaging, keeping it in circulation and out of our oceans.
- All aluminium, foil, colour tubes, cardboard, paper, magazines, razor blades, unwanted tools and select disposables are sold for recycling, and the proceeds are donated to OzHarvest and KiwiHarvest to provide meals for hungry people. A full head of foils provides a quarter of a meal to someone in need!
- Hair clippings are collected from the salon floor and stuffed into stockings to make Hair Booms that will help clean up oil spills along our coastlines! Hair is also repurposed in local community gardens for composting or used in sustainable art installations to educate the community.
- All collected ponytails 20cm or longer are distributed to charitable organisations to create wigs for those suffering from cancer or alopecia. Sustainable Salons is the largest donor of ponytails in the Southern Hemisphere.
- By collecting small amounts from a large salon network, Sustainable Salons is the first company to recycle excess chemicals in the salon industry. These are pooled and sent to chemical recycling plants where they’re neutralised and turned into recycled water used in roadworks and construction.